Private Underground Rome & Catacombs Tour
Private tour of Rome featuring Roman Catacombs, Appian Way and St Clemente churchBOOK NOW
Highlights and what's included
- Local Expert Guide
- Air-conditioned Mini-Van Driver
- Private transfer from your hotel to the start of the tour with your guide
Our subterranean tours of Rome feature tours of the Catacombs & Underground Rome that begin with a drive out to the suburbs of modern-day Rome. We'll drive down the Appian Way to reach either the San Sebastian or San Domitilla Catacombs, lying below the Basilica of the same name. It's widely believed that these particular Catacombs were the first of their kind in Rome and have been an important object of pilgrimage since Medieval Times, especially considering that for some forty years they were home to the remains of Saints Peter & Paul.
Your Local Expert Guide will take you down into the warren-like structure of chambers and narrow corridors to explore these ancient Christian burial grounds. During a fascinating tour of Rome's original Catacombs learn about the role that the Catacombs played during the times of religious persecution, along with other details and information that have been discovered during recent excavations of the site.
We'll then visit the magnificent church of St. Clement's, where you'll enjoy a journey back in time as you descend down three levels and through two thousand years of history. The medieval church was built over the remains of a 4th century basilica which was built over older buildings from the time of the emperor Nero and a sanctuary dedicated to the oriental divinity Mithras. The medieval basilica houses one of the finest mosaics from that time, representing the Tree of Life: over a golden background a cross as a tree of life spreads its branches to give life and sustenance to man.
The tour finishes at San Clemente church, a few minutes away from Colosseum underground/metropolitan station and buses stops.
- NOT INCLUDED: Entrance fees
- If your Hotel is located outside Rome city center, there might be a small supplement for pick up at hotel and we will advise at the time of your booking
Departure point for your Private Catacombs & Underground Rome tour will be advised at the time of your booking
- This tour is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will be able to take you on alternative routes suitable for you.
- At times, Museums and Churches close without notice. No refunds are available as these events are beyond our control.
- Prices from: 84.00
- Duration: 3 hours
- Availability: View Calendar
- Pickup Location
- Mid Point