Small group Catacombs, Appian Way and San Clemente church by Minivan
During this tour you’ll visit one of the famous Roman catacombs, you’ll drive through the ancient Roman road Appia Antica and see one among the most interesting churches of Rome, San Clemente. All this in comfort as you’ll travel by minivan and in company of one of our expert guides. - LIMITED TO 7 PEOPLE PER MINIVANBOOK NOW
Highlights and what's included
- Local expert English-speaking tour guide
- Air-conditioned Minivan & Driver
- Maximum of 7 people per minivan
Intimate and informative small group Rome tours of the Catacombs, Appian Way & the Magnificent excavations of St. Clements Church begin with a drive out to the suburbs of modern-day Rome. We'll drive down the Appian way to reach either the San Sebastian or San Domitilla Catacombs, lying below the Basilica of the same name.
It's widely believed that these particular Catacombs were the first of their kind in Rome and have been an important object of pilgrimage since Medieval Times, especially considering that for some forty years they were home to the remains of Saints Peter & Paul.
One of the highlights of this tour is entering the warren-like structure of chambers and narrow passageways to explore these ancient Christian burial grounds. During a fascinating tour of Rome's original Catacombs learn about the role that the Catacombs played during the times of religious persecution, along with other details and information that have been discovered during recent excavations of the site.
After a stop in the Appian Way to admire this Ancient Roman road, and time to discuss the Cecillian Metella tomb, the tour continues with the magnificent church of St. Clement's, where you'll enjoy a journey back in time as you descend down three levels and through two thousand years of history.
The medieval church was built over the remains of a 4th century Basilica which covers older buildings from the time of the Emperor Nero and a sanctuary dedicated to the oriental divinity Mithras. The medieval basilica houses one of the finest mosaics from that time, representing the Tree of Life: over a golden background a cross as a tree of life spreads its branches to give life and sustenance to man.
The Catacombs & Underground Rome tour finishes at St Clemente Church, a five-minute walk from the Colosseum and Metropoltina railway station.
- NOT INCLUDED: Entrance fees (5 Euro catacomb and 10 Euro St Clemente church)
Tour starts from outside the Colosseum metropolitan station, by the newspaper green kiosk on the right side where you will find our guide holding a board with Avventure Bellissime Catacombs & underground tour written on it
- This tour is of a historical area and is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will be able to take you on alternative routes suitable for you.
- Please wear comfortable footwear as this tour involves a lot of walking.
- The cost of the tour does not include gratuities or hotel pick up and drop off.
- At times, Museums and archaeological sites close without notice. No refunds are available as these events are beyond our control.
- Tour operates with a minimum of 4 participants.
- Prices from: 85.00
- Duration: 3 hours
- Availability: View Calendar
- Pickup Location
- Mid Point