Private Vatican and Sistine Chapel Tour
Private Vatican Tours include in-depth tours of the Sistine Chapel, Vatican Museums and St. Peter's ChurchBOOK NOW
Highlights and what's included
- Local Expert guide
- Skip the Line tickets to the Vatican museum
- Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, Rafael Rooms, Michelangelo's Pieta, St. Peter's church and much more
On our Private 4-hour tours of the Vatican & Sistine Chapel, as we tour the intimate private apartments of Julius II decorated by Rafael, we'll discuss the lives of the great artists who worked at the Vatican, and the rivalry that existed between Rafael & Michelangelo as they worked side-by-side to create their masterpieces.
With the in-depth knowledge that our private tour guides possess, you'll be able to interpret together the great works of art on display at the Vatican. In the Sistine Chapel, where we will allow as much time as possible to admire Michelangelo's famous frescoes, you'll learn about the intense relationship between Pope Julius II and Michelangelo that drove the artist to create the greatest work of Art the world has ever known. You'll be able to appreciate how the paintings of the Sistine Chapel evolved and how Michelangelo's own character changed during this Herculean task, as the world around him was thrown into turmoil.
Throughout our Private Tours of the Vatican & the Sistine Chapel your expert guide will entertain you with anecdotes about the famous Popes; you'll learn about the conclave and the election of Popes, their love of art & their glamorous lifestyles during the Renaissance when St. Peter's & the Vatican were refurbished to splendor and magnificence we see today.
Our private tours of the Vatican & Sistine Chapel continues in the vast open spaces of St. Peters Basilica where a treasure of precious works of art await to be discovered. We'll discuss Michelangelo's stunning Pieta, that created the desire within Pope Julius II to contact the young artist for other more important works he had in mind. And while admiring Bernini's impressive Papal Canopy, a legacy left to the Basilica by the Barberini family we'll learn the justification behind a famous Roman saying "What the barbarians didn't do, the Barberini did!"
As you tour St. Peter's Basilica, designed by Michelangelo's great rival Bramante, you'll understand how the great architect rediscovered ancient roman building techniques to realize a colossal church of such unprecedented magnificence that was fine tuned by the genius of the Renaissance - Michelangelo. In St. Peter's Square, your private tour of the Vatican & the Sistine Chapel will conclude as you admire Michelangelo's Dome and the marvelous colonnades designed by Bernini that embrace the spectators who come to witness important Papal ceremonies. And listen to the life story of a simple fisherman who became the first Pope of Christianity - St. Peter.
Your English speaking guide will come and meet you outside the entrance to the Vatican Museums holding a sign with your name written on it
- This tour is of a historical area and is not fully accessible for wheelchair users or people with walking disabilities. However, please contact us directly and we will be able to take you on alternative routes suitable for you.
- Important: on Wednesdays St. Peter's Basilica is closed in the morning for Papal Audience. The tour will feature more on the Vatican Museums.
- At times, St. Peter’s Basilica closes without notice. No refunds are available as these events are beyond our control.
- There is a dress code for St Peter’s Basillica. No shorts or sleeveless tops are allowed.
- Prices from: 63.50
- Duration: 4 hours
- Availability: View Calendar
- Pickup Location
- Mid Point